There's been no new pics of the kitchen reno in a few days, and it's not because the deal is done. Quite the opposite - there is the lingering task of replacing a busted under cabinet light from Ikea. Fascinating I know! Final photos will be posted soon.
While I've been away Amanda has been managing the task of our apartment getting painted. Here are our colors. These SO don't look like the colors in real life, but the names are fun:
(which is much more of a light green than the image shown)
I try not to get too political on Stupidfresh, so I'll take the geek designer angle. As reported on Kotke.org and others:
postpone tonight, he was able to come after all.
We're so glad he did!
The appliances are back in and turned on and we did some tests to make
sure nothing would blow up or flood. All clear.
He did not, however, have time to hook up the lighting that we ran out
and purchased at Ikea last night (sacrificing valuable hours of
We did come up with a plan on how to run the cables and are hoping
that this will be all be done tomorrow or Friday.
Stay tuned renovation lovers!
This photo was taken at the end of day three after the appliances were
looks great with only a few minor inconsistencies from what we expected.
For instance, a cabinet that was supposed to be a set of drawers was
built as shelves. Hmmm.
So all that's left is figuring out this under cabinet lighting issue
and moving all the appliances back. Let's hope they all fit!
So we figure two or thee more days on this and we're back in business.
This photo was taken around 1pm on Tuesday when the cabinet
installation was completed.
Here are some of the best shots form the night. And yes, there was a portable ring made so we could wrestle in the streets:
they demo'd and removed all the old cabinets and got the majority of
the new cabinets up! They got much further than I expected.
There were (and are) a few bumps though. With the cabinets going up so
quickly, our contractor didn't have time to coordinate with the
cabinet installers to run electricity for the under cabinet lights.
And about those lights, there was a misunderstanding as to who was
going to purchase them. Bottom line is no one did, so now we need to
go out and get the right type of lights for this.
Lastly, apparently the dishwasher wasn't disconnected from the water.
There was a small personality clash as the cabinet guys and contractor
tried to come to some agreement as to work through this hazard. Our
contractor worked it out.
So now we're on to day two tomorrow. There's rumour that the cabinet
guys may be done tomorrow Which would mean we could possibly be done
with the whole thing by wednesday if we can get the appliances hooked
back up and this lighting thing taken care of.
This photo was taken moments ago and shows the progress made on day
one of our kitchen renovation.
apartment. All things considered this is not considered as major a job
as it could be.
We're basically swapping out the existing cabinets with more updated
and sleek Ikea ones. The backsplash, countertop and appliances will
remain (if nothing gets damaged during the reno.)
I'll be updating at least a photo a day to show the progress. It's
estimated to take three to five days for the whole thing - let's hope!
This shot below is of our kitchen before any renovations. We have had
the stove and fridge moved out but that's it.
Keep checking back for updated photos!